Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Good Book on the Lusitania Sinking

I RECENTLY PICKED UP AN INTERESTING BOOK,"Lusitania: An Epic Tragedy,” by Diana Preston. If you are not familiar with the history, the Cunard Liner Lusitania was sunk by a German submarine off the southern coast of Ireland on May 7, 1915. The sinking of the ocean liner and deaths of some twelve hundred, including many Americans, pushed the United States out of neutrality into World War I. It is an interesting account of the tragedy and is told more in the style of a novel than a dry recitation of history. In fact, it was the basis of a recent television docu-drama about the sinking. If you are interested in history, particularly this period of history, it is well worth your time and effort.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation Mike. I'll put it on my list of things to do. I recently watched the movie on I think it was the History Channel. Sinkings of ships such as the Titanic and the Lusitania have long fascinated me. Every time I watch one I hope the ship misses its date with fate. Good luck with the blog. I'll try to check in periodically.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete