Friday, May 21, 2010

Ahhh, the sometimes boring life of a lawyer!

Sometimes the life of a mystery writer / attorney is not all the excitement one would expect. My first impression of lawyers came from watching Perry Mason with my dad. Watching Perry solve the murder was exciting. But the life of a real life lawyer is often anything but exciting. Much of the work I do now is with the elderly, obtaining guardians and conservators to protect them and their property after they are unable to do so for themselves.

Recently here in Central Iowa a guardianship case made its way into the news which gave a somewhat distorted view of how the legal process works. I was able to write an op-ed piece for the Des Moines Register which put things in perspective. I’ve linked to the article here.

Don’t take this as legal advice, but if you find yourself in a similar situation you might want to take note of the information in the article.

MORE BOOK NEWS

We are within a month of the publication of End of the Line, my second Parker Noble mystery. The scheduled date is June 16 and the book should be at distributors and retailers by the first week in July. Later in July we’ll have a launch party at Beaverdale Books in Des Moines. In the mean time, pre-publication orders are being taken at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders and Books a Million. I’ll post the date and time for the launch party when everything is settled. In the mean time, if you can’t make it to Des Moines for the launch, try ordering it form one of the on-line stores I’ve linked above.

No comments:

Post a Comment